1. Roughly 70-80 million dogs and 74-96 million cats are owned in the United States.
2. Approximately 37-47% of all households in the United States have a dog, and 30-37% of all households have a cat. (Source: APPA)
3. Approximately 40% of pet owners learned about their pet through word of mouth (American Veterinary Medical Association)
4. The majority of pets are obtained from acquaintances, friends and family members.
5. 28% of dogs are purchased from breeders
6. 29% of cats and dogs are adopted from shelters and rescues with this number rising due to breeder bans.
7. 35% of cats are acquired as strays. (Source: APPA)
8. The most common reasons why people relinquish or give away their dogs is because:
– Their residence does not allow pets – 29%
– Not enough time, divorce/death and behavior issues – 10% each
– The most common reasons for cats are that they were not allowed in the residence – 21%
– Allergies 11%
(Source: American Humane Association)